Madoka Magica Cosplay
Unlike the vast majority of series, Puella Magi Madoka Magica doesn't seem to focus on putting its characters in horrific situations. This might actually pose an interesting challenge for you if you want to cosplay as Kaname Madoka.
You may be a bit more used to playing intense characters. Madoka is anything but. She's a friendly 14-year-old girl who is known for her gentle demeanor.
While others might be riddled with psychiatric complexes, Madoka just wants to have fun with her friends. Sure she fights with a bow and transforms into a magical girl, but no one said that having a normal life meant you had to be truly normal.
1) As you might have noticed, white and pink are Madoka's favorite colors. If you're designing a costume to use for a cosplay event you'll naturally need to incorporate these two colors.
2) On top of this it actually appears that Madoka's hair is pink. If you get a wig to make up for this discrepancy, you'll probably need to fashion the ends of it into a pair of pigtails with ribbons.
3) Madoka color coordinates the ribbons in her hair with the tie she wears around her collar. Some images show the tie as matching her ribbons while others actually show it as having a slightly darker shade to it.
4) Her normal top has a high collar design that seems to be worn as a single piece. The sleeves are rolled over once at the ends.
5) If you had planned on making this costume yourself you may want to attach some red piping to the ends of the cuffs. This seems to match a similar type of piping worn around her collar.
6) Darker blue or black piping runs around the top of her shoulders and dips down around her neck and the top of her chest. This might be attached with some sewing or perhaps more effectively with a bit of fabric glue. If you go this route you might want to avoid leaving any excess glue on the garment.
7) Her standard outfit is finished off with a grayish plaid skirt. You may wish to wear a slightly longer skirt than the one Madoka has for modesty's sake. Nevertheless she does wear long white stockings with her outfit.
8) Those who are interested in going the extra mile with this outfit might want to carry around a recorder with them. She claims to play a little at least at school.
9) Brown penny loafers are a great way to pull the outfit together. For that matter, a few depictions of her bow-wielding magical girl costume feature these same shoes. These sometimes change in images, so you might be able to get away with using the same pair of shoes for both costumes. Despite the fact that auxiliary omake literature often shows her as wearing exceptionally small shoes you shouldn't ever feel compelled to wear things that are so small they don't fit you.
10) If you want to dress up as Madoka when she transforms you may wish to get a much longer wig than usual. Her hair actually appears to grow substantially as a result of her transformation, and her ribbons grow to match it. You might want to get a second pair that matches the new color scheme a little better.
11) A choker with a small pink faux gem is a great way to separate her transformation costume from her regular one. This seems to be a staple of her magical girl style. Ironically enough she's actually the only character not given a transformation sequence in the original anime.
12) Light pink dresses aren't hard to find and while the frills might not exactly be the best idea from a combat point of view they don't make it too hard to acquire Madoka's magical girl outfit as a standard piece of clothing. You should be able to find something in your size, and you can tailor some areas if it's at all necessary.
13) If you decide to use a pre-made costume bow you might want to get a hold of some fake plastic gemstones that resemble the one that you probably attached to her collar. Her bow is encrusted with them, and a little bit of hot glue is enough to get them attached to the bow. Be careful not to burn yourself, of course. Madoka actually once said that she carries around bandages because she's so clumsy, and you wouldn't want to have to do something like that.
14) Remember to always treat other people with plenty of respect. Unlike a lot of characters you might have gotten used to cosplaying as, Madoka is always full of joy.
15) Naturally you'll want to check out as many Puella Magi Madoka Magica character goods as possible here. They'll be able to give you some great ideas for future cosplays.
Learn more about the series here